What Is The Liberty Dollar Network Forums LD Forum Origin of the Specie

This topic contains 1 reply, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Matthew Corey 4 weeks, 1 day ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Well.. I thought I’d write some numismatic information down here regarding the original Royal Hawaiian Mint issues:

The original 9 dies produced by Bernard von NotHaus were hand engraved by Luigi Badia at the original 21mm size which is why they look the way they do. Considering this, the artistry seems pretty solid to me.

I suppose Bernard von NotHaus didn’t have the resources to get the idea off the ground because, and no offense to him, he was a stoner in the woods type back then from what I read. From what I read he wrote a far-out paper titled “Knowing Value” that had some degree of spirituality, and this paper set him on course to dedicate hims life to preserving the economy in precious metals. He got started on his mission in 1974, three years after the Nixon shock.

The original twelve dies were for a currency system using gold-copper alloy. The currency system consisted of the following denominations with the inverse listed first and obverse listed second:

5g Captain Cook | Kona Coast Bank
    2-1/2g Madam Peele | Volcano Land Bank
    1g Kamehameha | Ahlora Land Bank
    1/4g Earth “Shelter” | Ahlora Land Bank
    1/10g Eden | Volcano Land Bank
    1/100g Atlantis | Kona Coast Bank

I suppose Bernard wouldn’t have been able to get shops to take him up the currency idea as there is no sense of scale for US citizens to compare the listed units to their own dollars, so he spent a lot of his life minting and working out the architecture at the Royal Hawaiian Mint.

Most of this information was provided or deduced from the 2014 piedfort set listed in the current Royal Hawaiian Mint catalog. Some of it is conjecture. I suppose the guy was working his way up the food chain to be the monetary architect he is today.

These dies listed exist in various mintage figures in various metals and were minted for different occasions. I suppose that on some occasions he had some silver planchets and felt like striking some coins for the heck of it. I fancy myself more of a collector than a numismatist and don’t bother the guy unless there is food for me involved.

I suppose that any of the 9 dies can be used as a inverse or observe. The rarest of the 1970’s original strikes are made of gold according to an article published by coinworld. Some of the coins listed are made of sterling silver and have the dies altered to mark them as such. Among the rarest are sterling silver pieces with two inverse dies consisting of one less than 1g and one greater than 1g die. AGAIN: this is conjecture. A Captain Cook — Eden sterling coin has been discovered and a Kamehameha I — Earth sterling coin has been found.

I’m hungry and ought to drop off on the impromptu essay at this point. That’s pretty much all of the inferences and observations I can provide. Bernard informed me over the phone that there is a Royal Hawaiian Mint book coming out next year that will catalog this stuff and hopefully do a better job explaining it than I just did.

Sources:
    https://www.coinworld.com/news/world-coins/2014/09/royal-hawaiian-mint-marks-40th-anniversary.html
    http://www.royalhawaiianmint.com/about-rhm
    http://www.royalhawaiianmint.com/catalog/current-issues/2014-copper-piedfort-set.html
    https://thehawaiiananumismatist.com/

Oh and.. I have a inverse-inverse sterling coin listed in classifieds that I am offering for a quick sale for 220 eLD. If you authenticate it, archive it, and allow time for the RHM book to come out: the purchase will be more than equitable. Writing this post and explaining the origin of the specie has increased the piece’s value as it is incredibly scarce and needs explaining. Here’s hoping it goes to a good home that will do these things.

I reached out to someone who’ve I’ve done successful business with before and made a deal. Item is sold but I will leave it up until it is paid for as a way of bragging about it.

I’m sure it’ll be subject to data-rot but here are two images for when I take it down:
    1976 shelter dollar
    1976 Shelter Dollar Kamehameha I

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.